Saturday, February 13, 2016

Silence

During my college days I was blessed with the opportunity to play in a fantastic jazz ensemble at West Virginia Wesleyan College. During one of our rehearsals we were taught by Bob Thompson, an accomplished jazz pianist, and some of the lessons from that day continue to resonate in my life. One of those dealt with silence.

Mr. Thompson was discussing the power of music, and how music was comprised of both notes and rests. He asked for a volunteer to improvise with him and one of our best jazz players answered the call. They spoke for just a minute and then Mr. Thompson started playing some standard jazz chord progressions. The trombone player lifted his horn to his mouth but didn't play. He then lowered the horn. A couple of measures later he did the same. He then played a few simple long notes and then returned to listing his horn but not playing.

His message in this demonstration was simple... the rests cause the listener to begin to anticipate. The silence builds anticipation. By not playing, the musician is, in a way, ensuring that the focus of the listener is heightened so when he does play it is more impactful.

I can't help but think of this lesson often in the workplace.

Each time I am in a meeting and someone dominates the conversation I think of this lesson.

Each time an issue arises and emotions flare I think of this lesson.

I work hard at listening. I like silence and listening to be my way of demonstrating the importance of the other people in the room, of the person who is wanting to get their point across.

I learn through listening, not through talking. When I speak I am only solidifying my views, which doesn't lead to learning or growth.

And when I want my voice heard, I try to set the stage like a musician using rests to focus the listeners on the music to come.

Thanks Mr. Thompson.

(Note: If you haven't taken in Bob Thompson's music do yourself a favor and buy some of his work; maybe start with Bob Thompson "Live" On Mountain Stage)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. See the link below for more info.


#silence
www.ufgop.org